La Palmyre Zoo
Charente-Maritime, the ideal destination for your holiday
You love bathing in total peace and quiet, watersports that skim over the Atlantic waves, cycling along a seafront redolent with the scent of pines or through the heart of towns renowned for their art and history, the Charente-Maritime makes the ideal holiday destination for all the family!
Right next to the beaches, a camping pitch or a mobile home with all the charm of a holiday villa beckon you to come and drop your bags. Slip into your swimsuit then grab your sunscreen and your very best inflatable ring, it’s time to head for the campsite water park with its swimming pools and waterslides! As evening falls, get together around the campsite stage for a new evening of entertainment. The Charente-Maritime is certain to leave you with incredible holiday memories!
Camping Charente-Maritime, book your stay!
And don’t miss…
Visit the Charente-Maritime with the family
Your kids are true water babies? Then they’ll have no difficulty in finding their own little corner of heaven in the Charente-Maritime! Jump onto your bike and set off from the campsite to conquer its fabulous shores. Not far from the La Coubre lighthouse, the beach of Bonne Anse at La Palmyre is particularly appreciated by families for its warm calm waters. And don’t forget to take a break on the vast beach of Châtelaillon, south of La Rochelle, perfect for savouring a gorgeous ice cream with the ocean waves right at your feet!
Once back at the campsite, your little adventurers-to-be will be eager to meet up with their holiday friends in the campsite’s free mini clubs. Where better to enjoy a host of new activities in the great outdoors!
Visit the Charente-Maritime as a couple
A romantic holiday? Make it the moment you’ve been dreaming of to sail away to paradise and visit the sublime archipelago of the Charente-Maritime! Which of the islands will be your favourite, Ré, Oléron, Aix or Madame? Take your pick and treat yourselves to a voyage of discovery. For a glorious bike ride along beaches, across forests and through villages that look out over the ocean waves, the Île de Ré makes the perfect choice. Further south, the Île d’Oléron, with its majestic maritime pines, salt marshes and sublime beaches of soft fine sand, never fails to enchant its visiting campers!
The next port of call on your holiday cruise? The little island of Aix, perfect for a picnic in one of its sheltered creeks. And finally, at low tide, come and explore Île Madame on foot, by bike or even in a horse-drawn carriage!
Camping Charente-Maritime: our handy tips for a successful stay
The most beautiful beaches of the Charente-Maritime are without doubt those of the Île d’Oléron: send us your prettiest photos!
Taste the famous “Fines de Claire” oysters from the Marennes-Oléron bay, quite simply delicious!
Travel back through time in Royan as you discover the elegant seafront villas dating from the Belle Époque!
Take a stroll through the superb setting of the La Palmyre Zoo and meet its 1,600 animals!
Why go camping in the Charente-Maritime?
Right in the centre of the Atlantic coast, the Charente-Maritime has countless surprises in store and we’re sure you’ll be smitten! First, prepare to be amazed by its historical and architectural heritage, including the port of La Rochelle and Fort Boyard. And of course, you’ll take the time to admire the beautiful variety of its landscapes, with the Île de Ré and Île d’Oléron and their unique charm. In the Charente-Maritime, you’ll also find a number of delightful seaside resorts such as Royan and Chatelaillon-Plage, and delicious local cuisine including seafood and the famous Pineau des Charentes. Finally, the region boasts a stunning coastline with magnificent beaches, where you’ll love to soak up the sun. Take, for example, the beaches on the Côte Sauvage, close to your 5 star campsite in the Charente-Maritime.
Your children will be thrilled because at your campsite in the Charente-Maritime, they’ll find all their favourite activities: water park with outdoor pool, covered pool and water slide, teens and children’s clubs, a playground, and more!
For a perfect holiday in the Charente-Maritime, our luxury campsites also feature the very best accommodation:
• Pitches for caravans, tents or camper vans: a little corner of nature just for you;
• Pitches with private sanitary facilities;
• Cottages and chalets: spacious and bright, they can accommodate from 4 to 10 holidaymakers;
• Lodges: a stay in the midst of nature for 4 adventurers in our Safari Lodges;
• Villas: the ultimate in luxury for 3 to 6 lucky people.
Which are the most beautiful towns in the Charente-Maritime?
When staying at a campsite in the Charente-Maritime, be sure to explore the department’s most beautiful towns:
• La Rochelle: the prefecture town of the Charente-Maritime is one of the jewels of the Atlantic coast with its Old Port and its medieval towers, a place that’s buzzing with life in summer.
• Royan: a chic and charming seaside resort. With its Art Deco style, it is unrivalled.
• Ars-en-Ré: a picturesque village in the heart of the Île de Ré, its streets lined with gorgeous white houses.
• Saintes: travel back in time thanks to the city’s many Roman remains, including the amphitheatre and the Arch of Germanicus.
• Rochefort: just a few short kilometres from the Atlantic Ocean, anyone with a keen interest in the military and history in general will want to visit the maritime arsenal of Rochefort.
• Le Bois-Plage-en-Ré: a small town on the Île de Ré that wonderfully encapsulates the island’s easy-going atmosphere. The island’s specialty? La Rétaise fish soup!
• La Palmyre: set amidst the pine forests, a popular holiday resort with a beautiful beach and a great zoo.
• Saint-Just-Luzac: near the coast and the Île d’Oléron, a village that promises authenticity and tranquillity.
What are the must-see tourist attractions in the Charente-Maritime?
Between dips in the Atlantic Ocean, your 5 star camping holiday in the Charente-Maritime offers a unique opportunity to discover the region’s landmark sites:
• La Palmyre Zoo: home to more than 1,600 animals of different species. Opt for an exotic experience with a safari among wildlife and biodiversity from around the world.
• La Rochelle Aquarium: dive in and explore the underwater kingdom and its various ecosystems. The ideal place for your youngsters to learn and develop their awareness of wildlife.
• Fort Boyard: off the coast of Fouras, the fort has been battered by the Atlantic’s rolling waves for nearly two centuries and continues to impress visitors with its architecture and isolated situation.
• Salt marshes: picturesque coastal marsh landscapes, where you can discover the traditional process of salt production. Very common on the Île de Ré and Île d’Oléron, you’ll also come across them inland, around Mornac-sur-Seudre.
• Île de Ré: located off La Rochelle, this is the perfect place for a bike ride as you breathe in the fresh sea air. And at lunchtime, how about a mouclade, a creamy mussel dish, by the beach with a tasting of the local Pineau des Charentes.
• Île d’Oléron: the largest island off the French Atlantic coast, renowned for its well-preserved beaches, characteristic villages and untamed nature.
• The Landes forest: neighbouring the Charente-Maritime, this is a vast wooded area with some superb hiking trails and gorgeous landscapes.
Which are the most beautiful beaches in the Charente-Maritime?
For a superb family camping holiday in the Charente-Maritime, here are the best spots to spend your afternoons splashing in the waves of the Atlantic Ocean:
• Marennes-Plage: on the Île d’Oléron, a superbly family-friendly beach. Ideal for swimming, outdoor activities and watersports.
• Ronce-les-Bains beach: in La Tremblade, this is a very lively spot in summer with numerous concerts and restaurants. The ultimate spot to sample the Farci charentais (a kind of vegetable pâté) while enjoying some good music!
• The beaches of the Côte Sauvage: to the north of Royan and a stone’s throw from your seaside campsite in the Charente-Maritime, this is the ideal setting to try out water-based activities, such as jet skiing, surfing, or stand-up paddleboarding.
• Chatelaillon-Plage: between La Rochelle and Fouras, a beautiful sandy beach, ideal for chilling out and enjoying a walk.